Sunday, April 6, 2014

Sunday April 6 - Nickers comes to Rollover Downs

Nickers is a special Parelli trained pony who belongs to Sara Austin. Sara has a small animal vet practice and is opening a new facility and finding a lack of time for horsemanship so Nickers is coming to Rollover Downs where I board so we can play together for a while.

Nickers is an 8 year old large pony who I have observed in various clinics Sara has done with Dan. I have watched and loved her energy and wished I could play with her and wished I had a horse who actually wanted to move her feet!! I recall her being LBE on the ground when I saw her and very brave out on the trail.

My first impression today--she is very easy and agreeable. She missed Sara like crazy when Sara drove away but settled so quickly. I don't think I have ever started with a horse--step one--so calm, brave and unafraid/confident. She has been at Rollover several times in the past and the back paddock where we started wasn't totally unfamiliar.

After playing a little on line we went in the barn for some grooming/bonding. She was "good" but not thrilled. She did enjoy the young girls paying attention to her. Afterwards, BA turned her out with Angel. Nickers was calm, did not run around. Angel wasn't thrilled but tolerant. I visited over the fence with Nickers several times.

For next time: keep it to 20 minutes...watch for boredom and remember Jim Carey sense of fun. I want this to be a vacation, variety, and enjoyment for Nickers.

Summary:

1. Where was Nickers thinking? We are not connected of course BUT she was great about drawing to me. She was paying attention and having familiar Parelli games gave us a language and helped her to settle. I would not have expected her to be truly thinking with me under the circumstances. It will be interesting to see where we are in a week or so.

2. Can she/will she release her HQ? YES! Can we put it to positive purpose?

3. Games: 

1. friendly--slapping the ground from side to side with my back to the fence was a non issue and not good for anything but letting me know she could have cared less. Next time--I will go to some extreme friendly and check it out but I bet she will have no fear--whether it is actually relaxing for her is another issue.

2 and 3. Skipped porcupine except for FQ as she did not respond as well to moving FQ as HQ--drive for FQ will be a good thing for us to play with. HQ I will give a quick check to porcupine and bet she will easily yield a HQ--will be interesting to see how light it may be under saddle.

4. Yoyo and find my focus. She finds my focus but I am not sure she considers it a game. Yoyo--Nickers draws toward better than drive away. ??Teach that phase one for the backup is intention??

5. circling game--you go girl--this was great in the beginning. I was squealing with delight. When she settled she didn't want to move her feet with as much energy. Send and bring back were good. Next time play more with upward and downward transitions.

7. Sideways--a little on her left side and 8. Squeeze--again not an issue. Will play with touch it and the pedestal next time. Also I noted she knows sideways towards and are both sides equal?

For next time: plan something new I can teach Nickers. Consider how light is light.

---------------------------
My notes in preparation for Nickers visit:

Preparation for Nickers's Arrival

What I Know

1.      Nickers is LBE from what I have seen in several sessions Sara has had with Dan
2.      She is brave from ride we took up the road—she was curious not afraid of cows and was in fact even braver than Try.
3.      She really tries to dominate and will need to learn that it is ok not to be in control all the time.
4.      Likely she will test me with this every day for a while at least.
5.      Sara says she likes to have her belly and tail scratched.
6.      Her belly needs “swat” fly repellant when flies appear.
7.      She enjoys touch it especially dominating the object i.e. climbing on it—Try is the same.
8.      Variety and quick reflexes are a must.

Proposed Plan

1.      Where is Nickers thinking?
2.      Can she, will she release the power and can it be put to positive purpose?
3.      First step: catching game, draw and connection
4.      Extreme friendly to test confidence level
5.      Test if she will yield her HQ from a look (later will she draw HQ only to me).
6.      Yoyo from intention and find my focus games
7.      Test FQ
8.      Use same lightness of cues I use with Try
9.      Circling game: send, allow with gait transitions and bring back.

10.   Puzzle solving
11.   Relaxation
12.   Dwell time
13.   Match and mirror and stick to me
14.   Falling leaf and S bends
15.   Liberty

I may need a round pen or use of paddock out back?? BA says use paddock out back is ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment